Curry Potato Patties
I had a ten pound bag of russet potatoes and even though it feels like we’ve been having potatoes at almost every meal, the bag was still full. I decided to try out a new recipe that I found from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook. It was originally called Spicy Smashed Potato Patties but I changed up the recipe a bit so I figured I’d change the name as well. I served it with our carrot and red pepper salad.
Curry Potato Patties Recipe
By March 2, 2012Published:
- Yield: 12 patties (6 Servings)
- Prep: 1 hr 30 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 mins
These potato patties kick up the flavor and have just the right amount of heat. Don't let the prep time fool you! It includes some refrigeration time.
- 8 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1 medium red onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 3 tbsp cilantro minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 2-3 fresh lemons
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Place the diced potatoes in a pot of water. Cover and simmer until fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small skillet. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, and tumeric and keep on the heat for about 30 seconds and then remove.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Add the contents from your small skillet to the potatoes and mash together.
- Add the cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Lay out some wax paper on a baking sheet. Shape the potato mixture into patties about 2 inches thick. Place them in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When they are ready to be served, heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over high heat. Place the patties into the oil and cook until you have a golden crust (just a few minutes). Turn the patties and cook the other side. Serve and enjoy!