Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Wow! These stuffed peppers were tasty! I made these one day for lunch with some of my friends. They were super easy to make and made my whole house smell wonderful.
This is a vegan recipe (and by default, vegetarian) but you get plenty of protein, flavor, and crunch from the pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Packed with quinoa and veggies, these peppers would make a great meal for your family! The quinoa can be made ahead so it takes not a lot of prep time when you’re ready to put this recipe together.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
By April 2, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 halves (8 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
This vegan dish is quick and easy to make. The filling is so yummy I think I might try it in a tortilla, too!
- 4 large bell peppers seeded and halved (I used two red and two yellow)
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 celery ribs finely diced
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 cup fresh oregano or 2 tbsp dried
- 1/8 cup fresh basil or 2 tbsp dried
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season your peppers with cayenne and place in a casserole dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, pumpkin seeds, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables become soft and lightly browned. Add the quinoa, basil and oregano to the vegetables and continue to cook for 1 more minute as you mix the ingredients together. Salt to taste.
- Fill each pepper with some of the stuffing. Pour 1/2 cup of water in the casserole dish and then cover with foil. Bake in the same 400 degree oven for an additional 20-25 minutes.